I was talking to a very dear friend of mine about stresses... all of which I can honestly say, I put on myself. She made a statement that rang as clear as a bell to me...
-Saying yes to a new commitment, means saying no and taking time away from commitments I have already made.
For those of you who know me, know that I over commit... and then I procrastinate because I feel so stressed with my "to-do" list that I get to a point of overload, have a good cry and start again. I don't know why I feel like I can say yes to so many things... it's okay to say no, but I hardly remember that for myself. So, I wrote the statement above on my mirror. Because I am wonderfully good at telling myself that whatever the new thing is that I want to take on won't actually take up that much time... and oddly forgetting the very true fact that if I take a new thing on, it's less time that I will have to devote to commitments I have already made.
So... my manta for 2011. Saying yes to a new commitment means less time for things I have already committed to. Just a great reminder to me that one, it's okay to say no and two, that if I do take something on, I need to have a list of my priorities done first and answer honestly, do I have time??
:-) Never have I been so excited for a new year... after all it's just another day in the continuing circle of life, but this year... I just can't wait for a new, fresh start!!
No comments:
Post a Comment