This clock is 100 years old! 100! Still working, still ticking away, and still VERY accurate (as long as I stay on top of winding it) :-). It was purchased by my great-great grandfather Albert Reshel on August 28, 1905. It has been passed down through the generations, and is now a wonderful addition in our home.
I grew up in a house FULL of clocks... always tick-tocking. :-) I remember when Tony would be over, he would ask me how I could stand the noise... of course my first response was "What noise??" It was so common in our home, I never really noticed it. The half hour and hourly "bongs", the tick-tocking... I guess it was just so common to me that I rarely ever heard it.... and never really thought about it's meaning beyond telling the time.
We welcomed this cherished family treasure into our home last year, and it has sat on our piano and hutch, silent. Re-arranged like a piece of furnature. I didn't want to damage it, so I didn't wind it... so there it sat. But a few weeks ago I called my grandmother and asked her how to get it started, how do I wind it... is it okay to use... and I was DELIGHTED when I started it up. It's really amazing to me that it still works so well. Just a bit of oil and some love, and here it sits... tick, tock, tick, tock, working just as well as the day it was purchased.
I'm already used to the sound of the tick-tock. It doesn't phase me... I did notice the sound a bit more when I first started it up, but now I hardly even notice the sound. It's like the old friend I lost touch with... but as soon as we re-connected, it was like we never parted.
Tonight as I sat here... looking at photos of the girls, the clock caught my attention.... the ever present, consistant tick-tock. Isn't it funny when something that becomes so regular, catches our attention. We get so into our regular routine that we tune out the "extras". At that moment I realized a very obvious fact that the tick-tock is not just a sound in my day... it's seconds of my life passing... it's time passing.... it's real.
The clock sits next to a beautiful portrait of the family God has blessed me with, my grandmother's bible, a candle and a cross. And tonight for the first time, I have seen the clock in a whole new light. It's not just a sound in the backround, it's not just a piece of furnature that sits on my hutch... it's family, it's life, it's time. The tick-tock is the sound of time passing... and a reminder to not let the moments of my life pass me by. Rather than tick-tock it's saying LIVE-LIFE, LIVE-LIFE, LIVE- LIFE.
Maybe it's the glass of red wine that I had tonight that "helped" me be a bit more observant... or relaxed. LOL. Maybe it's that God is calling to me to take another view of my life.... maybe it's both. All I know is that I don't want to miss a moment... I don't want to let life pass me by!
Thank you God for ALL the blessings you have given to me. I know that without you, nothing would be possible and I am just so very grateful for all that You provide! Thank you for every moment of my life... thank you for all the "tick-tocks".... THANK YOU for tonights reminder that the life you have given me is RIGHT here, RIGHT now... Amen!

No comments:
Post a Comment